Environmental laboratories are consistently expected to increase productivity whilst maintaining or improving quality and also ensuring regulatory compliance while reducing overall operating costs. This is not an easy task.
Many environmental laboratories rely heavily on manual, paper-based processes that are inefficient and can be prone to errors. Transcription errors and failure to take appropriate actions can impact on a company's ability to comply with regulations.
At Autoscribe we have an array of environmental solutions, including Nuclear & District Survey, Waste Tracker and Water & Waste Water.
For the first time, environmental and water testing laboratories can implement a Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) that is installed “ready to go”, but can be easily tailored to match the unique requirements of each individual laboratory.
Autoscribe’s Matrix solutions provide all the functionality required to define and deliver a complete environmental monitoring protocol including a sampling plan and testing schedule. The sampling plan identifies the sampling points within single or multiple controlled environments and defines the frequency of monitoring. It also defines which test or tests are to be carried out on each of the samples collected. This can include chemical, microbiological and physical tests. Some tests will be performed monthly, for a specific sampling point, but others are only done on a quarterly or annual basis. Different sampling points may have differing requirements.
All test definitions are adaptable and results plus meta-data associated with tests and microbiological assays may be captured and compared with limits. Results can be trended to show the variation of results over time or passed to a statistics package for further analysis. Different alert and action limits can be specified for each test at each sampling site and triggers can be set up to ensure that any violations of these limits are immediately reported to the staff responsible.
- Logging of single or multiple samples with automatic assignment of configurable sample number.
- Easy definition and tracking of projects, including samples from known sample routes or sampling schedules.
- Use of template samples to automatically schedule routine tests with associated limits.
- Sample bottle labels and work lists can be printed to send along with the sampling containers and blank chain of custody (C-O-C) forms.
- Full support for printing and reading 1D or 2D barcodes is provided throughout the workflow process.
- When the samples arrive back in the laboratory, the C-O-C can be scanned and stored with the sample or batch record.
- Automatic calculations of due dates and hold times for both preparation and analysis. Samples that are approaching their expiration date can be flagged and can be prioritized.
- The storage locations of the samples, and any splits or sub-samples, are entered and tracked.
- Where needed, prep batches are created, along with the appropriate Quality Control samples such as blanks, duplicates, spikes, matrix spikes and surrogates, (reagent and batch tracking are also available).
- A variety of reports are supplied with the system, including a 12 point rolling average trend report with nested limits and alarms specifically required by the UK Environment Agency or USEPA.
Nuclear/District Survey or Environmental LIMS
The Matrix LIMS Nuclear Monitoring Solution is a versatile, comprehensive LIMS solution that is available for district survey, liquid discharge, and gaseous discharge and chemistry applications. It is again a highly configurable software system, suitable for environmental and chemistry applications within the nuclear power generation industry. It applies to both generating stations and during decommissioning. Access to the system is controlled by a comprehensive security system utilising a class based structure relating to job function and / or authority.
Waste Tracker LIMS
Matrix Hazardous Waste Tracker is designed to track, locate and consign any type of hazardous waste samples anywhere in an organisation for compliance with regulatory authority legislation. Applications include the tracking of nuclear waste, biohazard waste from hospitals and veterinary practices and waste electrical equipment (WEE).
This barcode ready tracking system allows the registration of hazardous waste items, progress/status checking, chain of custody management and reporting, lookup of reference lists (e.g. the EWC list) and consignment of hazardous waste. Details of carriers, consignees and users, with their associated authority, are all stored within the system. Matrix Hazardous Waste Tracker simplifies hazardous waste management by tracking waste to comply with the industry regulations and codes of practice associated with specific industries.
Matrix Hazardous Waste Tracker provides traceability and accountability by auditing all actions and eliminates errors by allocating a unique identifier to each item of hazardous waste. Immediate feedback on waste status is available. The system is delivered with fully configurable reports which include waste status on-site, waste status consigned off-site for specified date range plus any specific reporting required by regulatory authorities to ensure correct disposal procedures as defined in their guidelines.
Water & Waste Water LIMS Solutions
Water testing laboratories and laboratories that support water treatment plants have long discovered the benefits of Laboratory Information Management Systems - LIMS. Today many are looking to replace earlier systems with a system that is easier to support, has a proven upgrade path and is highly flexible and configurable.
Our Water & Waste LIMS has been developed with inputs from several large US metropolitan water districts and contains the deep functionality, automation, traceability and reports needed for this application. Until now, most LIMS targeted at this application were either custom written and therefore expensive to support and hard to upgrade, or were commercial systems that delivered some of the required functionality, but were very rigid and difficult to change.
These are just some examples of areas we have worked within. If you have an environmental lab and are looking for a LIMS – please contact us.
Download our environmental brochure here
For full details on our products please view here